Having a system in place will help the average homeowner clean their home faster and more efficiently. As an owner of a large cleaning company in Ocean County NJ I’ve often been asked how is it that our cleaners are able to be in and out of their home in less than 2 hours. Customer’s state it takes them all day on a Saturday to clean and it doesn’t look half as good as the way the cleaners do it? The reality is that a professional house cleaner is in the home to do a job. Cleaners aren’t distracted by request from children, the house phone ringing, the dog needing to go out and so on. If you were to be able to put all distractions aside the other reason cleaners are able to still able to move more rapidly with great quality is having the right tools and a system to follow.
Having the right tools to clean can really help in saving time and it doesn’t have to cost a lot either. First you should separate the tools needed for wet areas of the home (bathroom & kitchen) and for the dry areas. A good cleaning tote that can hold your chemicals, sponges, brushes and other accessories will help. In this tote keep a few rags to use to shine, dry and buff. In a separate tote keep you dry tools such as vacuum attachments, polish spray, Windex and some microfiber cloths. A bottle with water and vinegar will also be just as efficient as polish and Windex while being better for the environment. In this bucket have a nice wooly for doing corners of walls, fans and high dusting. Lastly having two separate vacuums will really assist in better quality and faster speed. A good canister to vacuum hard surface floors, stairs, furniture and corners will be much more efficient than an upright with tools and easier to carry. You can purchase the Hoover CH30000 for less than hundred dollars and it should last forever. A powerful upright like the Hoover C1404 or Oreck XL2000 will save time in vacuuming carpet as they’re strong machines that are light and easy to operate.
Now that you have your tools to clean this is a quick system that should really help in reducing time and keeping your home white glove clean:
- Begin with you Lambswool Duster in the top floor of the home and begin going from room to room to dust all corners of walls, behind furniture, fans, high light fixtures. End in the kitchen. Doing this first allows all dust to settle. Very important when using the duster and whenever dusting to work from top to bottom to allow dust to settle. As your high dusting carry a bag to empty all trash cans.
- Next grab your wet tote and head off to the bathrooms. The dust has had a chance to settle. Empty everything on the floor and put it outside the door. Vacuum the floor with you small canister vacuum as this will assist when you need to scrub the floor for small hairs.
- Begin with the scrubbing the sink first. Then wash the mirror, counters and dry the sink. Important to follow this order as if you do the mirror first and then the sink when you’re scrubbing your sink the water will go back on the mirror and you’ll waste time redoing the mirror. Use a toothbrush occasionally around corners and faucets to loosen any built up dirt.
- Proceed to the shower area. Empty it, wash off ledges for dust to fall to bottom and if you have shower doors get inside the tub to do them first. Proceed then by scrubbing the walls, faucet and basin. Dry and clean outside bottom basin or shower door.
- Proceed to all fixtures on the walls to dust and wipe down.
- Proceed to the toilet to scrub inside bowl and outside. Again use a toothbrush around corners. Don’t forget to dust toilet tissue holder.
- Wipe down all doors
- Lastly wipe floor from furthest point toward door. Use a scrub brush occasionally to loosen up dirt and for larger floors a good deck brush will speed the process.
- Head to next bathroom and powder room following same system. When complete leave the wet tote in the kitchen and head back to bedroom areas with your dry tote.
- Begin dusting the rooms moving left to right and top to bottom. Move around each room lifting everything possible to remove all dust. Dust each floor and then take your small canister vacuum to vacuum in areas that the larger vacuum can’t reach. Every other month try to wipe all baseboards with a damp cloth and crevice the corners with the vacuum to prevent dust buildup. Take the upright vacuum out to complete the vacuuming for that level of the house. If hard surfaces throughout home, small vacuuming the floor under beds and then mop.
- Follow same procedure now in all living areas. Dust first the entire living area again left to right top to bottom. Finish off with vacuuming. Every other month try to vacuum furniture and under cushions.
- Head off to the kitchen for completion.
- Every other month begin with wiping down kitchen cabinets.
- Head to the stove to clean. If the microwave is above the stove wipe it down first so as debris falls it isn’t going on a stove already cleaned. If filters under microwave take out every other month to wipe and clean. This helps the fan work better when cooking. Wipe down stove and take off knobs if possible to clean and soak if necessary.
- Next wipe all counters down moving everything to get behind that is possible. Clean toaster, spice racks, front of refrigerator (grill also) by wiping down. Also wipe down tables and chairs.
- Fill mopping bucket and then clean your sink. Again use a toothbrush periodically to loosen dirt. Dry sink.
- Vacuum kitchen floor
- Mop the floor from furthest corner to the exit area. Empty bucket in slop sink and clean. Head back to put everything back and you’re complete!
Following this system should save a tremendous amount of time and assist in having a clean home all the time. As for following a schedule for when to give extra attention to different areas of the home divide the home into four different cleaning zones:
- Living Area
- Bathroom Area
- Sleeping Area
- Kitchen Area
Each clean try to pay extra attention to these area’s and you’ll notice you’re cleaning like a professional at top speeds! If this doesn’t work you can always contact The Cleaning Authority of south Jersey or any other around the country and enjoy your free time!